Online Safety - An Essential Guide
Whether you are handling important business finances or just browsing the web, you want to stay safe while online. Take a look at these tips for ways to help keep your information safe.
Tips to Remember:
- Keep operating and security software systems up to date with all patches.
- Avoid browsing dubious websites.
- Make sure you are on a secure website when entering sensitive information. Secure sites display https:// instead of http:// in the browser’s address bar. A lock icon may also appear at the lower right corner of the browser window.
- Watch out for suspicious activities. Most malware does its best to stay hidden. If your machine is infected, you may not notice much but your computer may run slower than normal.
- Assume any unsolicited email attachments and links to websites are infected. Infected attachments and links may be sent to you by anyone, including colleagues.
- Don’t use unfamiliar portable computer storage media. USB memory sticks, CD-ROM/DVDs, and portable hard drives can carry malware and other security risks.
- There are a number of antivirus programs that have branched out into providing warnings for other cyber threats, such as potential phishing emails and known problem websites. You might want to invest a few dollars into one of these.